Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advantageous to transplant??

Posted by mollyjanea z5 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 13:34

i read recently that it is actually advantageous to start seeds in small containers and then move to larger, rather than starting off in larger containers to begin with. the info stated that root production/formation is better when first started in a smaller container. true? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advantageous to transplant??

absolutely

and since you didnt ask why.. i wont tell you .. lol..

ken

o

hmmmm..................why?? lol

o

i asked at walters gardens once.. one of the top wholesale producers in the world ...

and was told ... it had something to do with how water moves thru the potting media.. as it tends to pool out.. and go down the inside edge of the pot...

so the plants roots.. find the edge of the pot.. and work down from there ... taking in the moisture and the fertilizer ...

and once they find the edge.. and then the bottom.. you up-pot.. and it does the same thing ...

and in this system.. by the time you have up-potted.. a couple times.. the plant is huge ... and so is the root mass .. after all. that is what you are growing .. as compared to the plant above ... its got to be.. roots first ... the plant will follow ...

as compared to still being this tiny thing in a giant pot ...

its an old recollection.. and for all i know.. they were messing with my head [what are friends for.. lol] .... but indoor grown plants really grow differently.. if you follow such ...

when i messed with stuff.. seeds were germinated in a tray.. and then moved to 6 oz solo cups.. then to 8 oz.. then to 16 oz .... mostly because that was what i could buy easily ... and they are reusable.. after cleaning with 10% bleach ...

sorry for goofing with you..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here