Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandymig

Anxious to try propagating...suggestions please.

sandymig
16 years ago

I spent a few hours this weekend here on this forum trying to get a better grasp of propagating. I have tried unsuccessfully to do so in the past but I'm going to give it another go. I think my problem before was too heavy of a medium. I just went out and bought fresh Rootone, peat and perlite.

My main question is for my zone 6, and the shrubs I have now, which do you think would work this time of year. Shrubs I am interested in that I could take cuttings from would be the following:

Oakleaf hydrangeas, plus many other varieties of hydrangeas

Viburnums

Miss Kim lilac

Sand cherries

Roses

Weigelia

Magnolias-Royal Star and Sweetbay

Hollies

Ninebark

Also, if you have any additional tips, would love to hear! Thanks.

Comments (6)

• blueheron
    16 years ago

I think hydrangeas and lilacs are the easiest to propagate, from my experience. I've tried rooting roses, but didn't have any luck.

The Kinsman Company catalogue sells a rooting system that uses a patented Gel that has the rooting hormones included. It's good for softwood cuttings and houseplants. I have tried it with flowering quince and did get one plant from it. I think quince is difficult to propagate from cuttings, though. You probably will do just as well as with Rootone.

Also, willow bark makes an excellent natural rooting medium. It contains a root stimulant. You soak the twigs in water and use it to water the cuttings.

Good luck.

• redneck_grower
    16 years ago

I use peat/perlite. No mist, no humidity chambers, no bottom heat.

Hydrangeas - cuttings very easy in my hands.

Viburnum - Took cuttings from last year's growth this winter; 30% are now putting on some roots. Will do some stem-tip and semihardwood cuttings this spring/summer.

Lilac - Just pulled of some suckering growth last fall; rooted real easily; lots of new growth.

Magnolia (I'm propagating M. soulangeana) - Tried ground layering; my bark-scarring bridged, and no roots formed. Cut off the layered pieces this winter and put in my rooting medium; all are now putting on vegetative growth. I'm also mound layering a multistemmed-plant. We'll see next winter how that turns out.

Hollies - Pulled up some naturally-layered stems this winter; putting on nice new growth. I have some stem-tip cuttings I took this winter, not sure what they're doing; leaves still intact, though no new growth yet. We'll see.

That's all the experience I've had with your list.

Good luck.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

Followup: yesterday I pulled up one of my Magnolia hardwood cuttings, and it is putting on roots. My reading has indicated that M. soulangeana is not propagated by hardwood cuttings, but it is working for me in this case. I may try some more next winter.

• sandymig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks blueheron and redneck grower for your tips and good luck with your new cuttings. I am guessing I am just a little too late for hardwood cuttings and too early for softwood. Most things are just leafing out now, but there is no softwood to gather yet. Patiently waiting...

• kevbailey
    15 years ago

You can air-layer soon. Probably the most reliable method of all once you learn how often to water.

• laryssabeth
    15 years ago

I have had alot of luck propagating nineback from new growth cuttings - with the cut made at a long angle, dipped in rooting hormone and potting medium.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor