Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larrymorin_gw

Natural Root Reproduction?

LarryMorin
12 years ago

Late last season someone gave me what was allegedly a Rose of Sharon. It was really just a couple of unidentifiable nearly dead twigs jammed into an undersized pot.

Long story short, I never got around to finding a home for it in the yard and it died over the winter.

About a week ago I noticed sprouts in the pot. I thought they were seedlings and left them be until yesterday when I decided to re-pot them.

The we're not seedlings, but we're actually new plants attached to the root of the dead parent plant.

I cut each one out, (about 20) leaving a section of the root that they were attached to. I then applied rooting hormone and replanted in a soilless mix of peat/vermiculite.

Currently I have them outside on the porch. What more can I do to help them survive? This is my first attempt at propagation.

Although, I've been lurking around the forum a long time, I don't believe I've seen this specific issue addressed before. I sure hope you folks can help. If they really are ROS it would be a nice addition to the yard.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert