Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best soil for sedum and jade propagation

Posted by sedumqueen burlesontexas (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 16:26

what is the best soil for jade leaf or sedum cutting propation? and i have also heard you can lay a sedum stem on soil sideways and bury it and it will root. is this true?and how long does a piece of stem have to be? and why do my jade leaves just rot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best soil for sedum and jade propagation

I don't know to much about jade propation but sedums will root in garden soil or potting mix.. Just get soil with good drainage cause sedums are succulents hence they like to be completely dry before watering them. After your sedums are well rooted and you want to put them in a pot you can plant them in half sand half potting mix seems to work the best or even just potting mix. The littler types of sedums seem to root much easier but the bigger ones seem to root almost as easy. Most sedums you can just break apart. Then all you have to do is cover the stem of the sedum with soil and water and just wait till the little guy grows some roots. A lot sedums will just grow roots all over and already have have roots ready for propagation. In many cases you can just leave the piece of a sedum in dirt and it will root itself.

Heres a picture of a tiny sedum I have with roots on it. xD

o
RE: best soil for sedum and jade propagation

Just poke that jade cutting into some damp soil and it will root in just a short period of time - make the soil JUST damp, not moist and not wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here