Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Transplanting yarrow

pippi21
14 years ago

My neighbor said that I could have some of her yarrow that she planted probably 2 yrs. ago and needs to be thinned out. Is there anything I should know about how to transplant it? Can I just dig it up from her flowerbed and plant it right into mine?

Comments (10)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

YES !!!!! just keep soil DAMP till takes root in its new home..... enjoy

• token28001
    14 years ago

Keep it damp, but provide lots of drainage. It likes the moisture, but not constantly wet roots.

I transplanted some of my own just a week ago into new beds. Just shovel out the part you want and leave the rest to grow on.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tom, in this great weather we've had for last week or more, do you think direct sowing of shasta daisy seeds, or coneflowers will take?( I found 2 envelopes that I had gathered from same neighbor's daisys and one from my coneflowers 2008/2009)think I also found an envelope where I snitched coneflower seeds from public library's garden. Hey, I was just deadheading their plants, somebody needed to do it. I figured I saved the taxpayers some money. LOL!

• token28001
    14 years ago

They should. Just keep the area moist after sowing. You don't need to do much more than scratch the surface of the soil to break up the area, sow the seeds, rake a little to mix them in and water. When I direct sow, if it doesn't rain, I water twice a day in the spring. I don't use mulch in the beds, so there's good soil contact with the seeds. The birds will be after the coneflower seeds. Just so you're aware.

• Samiljan_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Is it to late in the year to transplate yarrow?

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

I transplanted some, it's fine. Nothing seems to kill it. Just keep it watered and get as many roots as you can.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a mystery plant..it looks like white scabiosa, or white yarrow but I don't think yarrow grows as tall as this plant is. Its foliage looks more like yarrow but it is at least 24 in. tall and the lone ranger. It is planted next to Rudbeckia(BES)so I'm assumming it hitched a ride when I got either the plant or the seeds. My daughter gave me a lot of BES but this does not look like same variety as those she gave me.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't get the yarrow from my neighbor before her landscaping man came. She needed low maintence, as she is heading toward 86, so she had him dig the bed out and plant 3 Knock out rose bushes. She still has shorter versions of shasta daisies, stella d'oras and pansies. Just as well as she ended up in hospital 2 weeks ago and is now in Rehab facility. Don't know if she'll be returning to her home or not.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

pippi21 - when you think of a new question you will probably get more replies if you start a new thread. Regarding the id of your mystery plant - if you take a picture you can post it on the Name that Plant Forum and will almost certainly get a quick answer. I'm having trouble visualising it from your description. Yarrow and scabious look quite different from each other imo.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mystery plants turned out to be white scabiosa, rose campion or lamb's ear, and I think it is Cornation gold yarrow. Will get my plant book out for that last one. I would like to have more of that one. Not crazy over scabiosa so I will probably offer it at an upcoming plant swap or plant sale.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus