Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Propagating Olive Trees

I found a website and I have taken this Italian's advice:

# propagating : if you need to replace some trees you can try to propagate them from the olive trees you already have. Therefore you can use your pruning branches. According to prevailing theory it's better to use woody scions, 2-3 years old, about one inch wide, each one 8-10 inches long. After removing all the leaves you must put the branch in a horizontal way a few inches under the ground. It will germinate several lateral shorts in a few months. Each short will be a new plant.

Someone tried also to cut a one year old olive branch, with no less of 3/4 gemmas sticking it in agri-perlite's layer; the branch should take roots in a two/three months; but it is subject to frequent nebulizations: so it's better if you have a greenhouse with sprinklers.

In somebody's opinion the best way of propagating is directly by stones coming from very mellow olives; after you have removed grease and bathed them for a few hours in a lye (sodium carbonate or ash mixed to lime) solution, you must stratify them in the sand; the stones must then be kept in a dry room.propagating

Sowing is generally scheduled in June, July or August; in a cold bed preferably inside a large masonry case. It's better to crack carefully first the stones with the hammer.

Seed germinates in about 40-50 days; as soon as plants have 4-6 leaves, on March, they will be ready to be transplanted. Grafting will be possible a year later.

I personally tested all the above procedures but I had no satisfactory success. To sum up I have reason to believe that the best propagating way is possible using either a sucker or a low young branch directly from the tree: just cut it for a half and cover it with earth to consent a new roots developing, like grapevine.

I took several suckers from trees on the golf course, cut them in half, dipped in rooting hormone, and stuck them in the ground. Wish me luck!

The website I got my info from is here: http://www.geocities.com/~gianno/angi2.html#Planting

Suzi

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm