Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wdc202

Russian olive

wdc202
15 years ago

I have a 20-year old Russian olive (more a bush than a tree) that I planted from a rooting. It is in a fairly shaded spot. It is now about 8 feet tall but it is overly scraggly. Will a fertilizer promote more new growth? What kind of fertilizer is best?

I would like to try some new Russian olive cuttings but canât remember how. Do I use old or new growth?

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Fertilizing it would likely result in lankier growth. Russian olives prefer full sun, so the best thing you could do for the plant is to transplant it to a sunnier location or clear away some of whatever is shading it.

BTW, Elaeagnus angustifolia is considered an invasive species (destructive to the environment) in your area (as well as a good part of the US), so you might consider complete removal of the plant.

• wdc202
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brandon7: Thank you very much. I did not know that.

• kiddo_1
    15 years ago

Here is a link that you might find helpful in identifying invasives for a USA location. Scroll down and click on your state.

Here is a link that might be useful: USA invasives

• wdc202
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both. I will NOT fertilize the Russian olive. I would take it out if it were not so large and established. However, as it shows no signs of spreading (invading) other areas I will just let it be. ..wdc

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

The russian olive makes tasty berries and the birds will spread it around.

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Sorry I got so worked up I forgot to answer your question. I always trim the Russian olive to look like a tree by cutting off the lower branches and thinning out inward growing upper branches. When you do that it puts more energy into the remaining upper branches and will grow taller and transform itself from a bush into a tree. They do like miracle grow and extra water. If you have alkaline soil use some miracid occasionally. At this point your tree will have a good root system and should respond well to any tlc you give it. Finding information on propagating them seems impossible because so many states are putting them on their "hit list" but because the seeds are spread so readily by the birds they are easy to find as seedlings and people want to get rid of them.

• wdc202
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Genrator 00: Thanks so much for your pruning tips on my Russian olive. I will try them.

I too was surprised to see Russian olive's "outlaw" classification. I know it is still used widely on the eastern tip of Long Island (Montaulk, etc.)

• rodawn
    14 years ago

Russian Olives are tolerant of saline (salty) soils and that alone keeps them from spreading like wildfire and are particularly useful along ocean shorelines. I fully intend to plant a whole bunch of them as we have saline soil and in fact our well water has a certain amount of sodium in it. Nothing else grows in the area I want to plant them.

• cathi_changling1_com
    13 years ago

My horses have eaten the bark off 8 of my russian olives and we are hoping they don't die...... Is there anything I can do to save them being that is winter and very cold ??????? also how do you propagate them???????

• macdeb
    7 years ago

I love Russian Olives in a yard. They are lovely and attract my favorite bird, the goldfinch! I do not find them invasive in a yard setting!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"I do not find them invasive in a yard setting!"

Macdeb, unfortunately, you don't understand the meaning of "invasive". It would be virtually impossible for you to determine that the plant was not "invasive in a yard setting".

This plant is harmful to native flora and fauna in much of the US. Loving it in your yard, may be comparable to loving pretty, colorful toxic waste dumped in your yard. Actually, the toxic waste might be considered less dangerous, because it does not spread and multiply exponentially.