Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
this gal needs help propagating thujas with no greenhouse

Posted by TRINITY_965 PA (south central) (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 21:17

Hello. I would greatly appreciate advice on propagating thuja green giants. I've read many forums, problem is I live on a farm with no fancy greenhouse and NEED to sprig at LEAST SEVERAL HUNDRED or more (so one sand box or a flat is out of the question) Seems everything I read is either for fancy greenhouse or somebody just doing a few.

I have several hundred one gallon pots if they could be used?
I don't have an Indoor location, I do have an open hangar /quonset hut shelter with concrete floors if that helps... I've tried many times in the past and failed each time.. I did use a root hormone. I'm not exactly sure how to make this work in such volume... what kind of container..what soil mix.. can I keep under a tree in shade and water daily?, etc....

Thanks so much for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: this gal needs help propagating thujas with no greenhouse

Hi- have you thought of settling for T. plicata from seed? It sprouts like a weed and grows like mad.

o

the subject seems to have been covered many times.. well 35 at least ..

check the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

This sounds like a job that you might have considered saying "NO" to. I'm serious!

Why don't you tell us about your procedures in the past? There are really lots of methods to getting the job done, but plenty of ways to guarantee failure.

Thuja are typically propagated in the fall/early winter when they are fully dormant. That gives you plenty of time to do some research and to get a propagation area established somehow.

You know, in your area, a greenhouse is not an optional piece of fancy equipment when one is tasked with propagating hundreds of woody cuttings. It's too cold where you are to rely on a covered cold frame...something that is done successfully in warmer parts of the country.

Though Thuja will be perfectly happy in a winter environment of 40 to 50 degrees (even colder), they will root faster and at a higher percentage if bottom heat is provided.

I'd suggest that you propagate the cuttings in something very coarse textured and fast draining. The medium that you eventually pot the rooted cuttings in should be a typical bark based nursery mix.

Don't use the one gallon cans for propagation. They will take up an enormous amount of space and medium. Start them out in some small plastic containers that you can pile in a flat for easy moving. (See the attached link for an example of what I mean.)

Anyway, good luck to you and I hope you can find some good information on the internet regarding "Propagation of Thuja". If you need some help finding a few good websites, let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagation pots and trays

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here