Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beach sand used for intermittent mist?

Posted by jblitzfick (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 21:57

I'm getting ready to try my first intermittent mist system - but i'm having a hard time finding coarse enough sand. I live near the beach and see sand that i think would work great. Could I just clean it w/ bleach or is this crazy? Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beach sand used for intermittent mist?

Do not use beach sand as it is full of salt. Builders sand available at any builders supply or Home Depot or Lowes. Al

o

Beach sand is also worn and rounded, not sharp. The particles need to have sharp edges so that pore spaces are formed. There is no reason why you cannot find a bag of builder's sand at any hardware or building supply store.

o

The people who install tile and grout have several sizes of 'silica sand' or 'sharp sand'. It is avaible at builders supply as calistoga noted above. Furthermore it is quite clean and is not expensive and comes in sturdy sacks.

o

When looking for sand you must have COARSE sand, called sharp, but I never had luck finding it so I improvised. Go to any Lowe's or Home Depot and get some "leveling sand" used for leveling paving stones. Use some regular window screen (you can get that there as well)and wash the sand in a flat with sides and the screen on the bottom. What you will end up with is perfect for misting/rooting plants. Let me know how it works, I've been doing this for a few years and it works for me. Bob MaplesNMore@aol.com

o

You can also use med or large chicken grit available at feedstores.

o

Go to a local builders supply place (not necessarily a big box like Home Depot). The smaller kind that have big piles of sand, gravel, etc...sitting on the lot somewhere. Our local chain is called "Webbs Concrete & Building Supply" but most towns have something similar. I can buy a half ton of coarse builders sand (they also sell finer masonry sand which is not what you want) for only $13.00 and they load it on your truck with a tractor or bobcat. A full ton is priced around $20. A 1/2 ton is all my little pick up can haul without breaking an axle lol. I have an intermittent mist propagation bed that is 8' x 5' and about 8" deep and a 1/2 ton is more than enough to fill it.

Good luck with your system! Sincerely, Squirrellypete

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here