Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagation newby dogwood question

Posted by philipw2 7 MD/DC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:14

So while thinning my red twigged dogwood this spring, I thought, why throw away these perfectly good stems. So I put them in a couple of buckets of water with some willow stems. Well the willows have developed quite nice webs of roots, but the dogwoods are still bare. I do have very nice leaves and flowers though. How long should I expect to wait for them to provide a nice set of roots? Alternatively would I be better off filling the buckets with vermiculite?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagation newby dogwood question

I don't know if Dogwood roots from cuttings, but as long as it's blooming and leafing, leave it as is, willows and all.
Any lenticular action on the stem? This would show as a white styrofoam or popcorn texture on the lower portion of the stem over the lenticles, or pores.
This is an indication that undifferentiated "stem" cells are forming and roots are in the works.

o

Yes they can be started from cuttings, but I would not have tried your method. You are already into it and I would continue as is, maybe covering with plastic to prevent cuttings from drying out before rooting. Be patient and don't expect them to root like willow. Al

o

dampen some potting media.. insert in pot.. stink in plant.. cover with plastic bag.. keep bright but NO sun ...

its called a humidity dome.. and IF it can actually be done.. you will end up with roots in media.. rather than 'water' roots.. which might die on planting..

it shouldnt be hard to goggle 'dogwood propagation' .. and come up with a million more suggestions ... as AL said.. there are other.. better ways ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here