Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urgent: help grafted branch broken

Posted by home624 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 22:24

Hi,
I bought a 4 in 1 grafted apple tree. During high winds, one of the branches broke and was dangling on few fibers. It seems to have broken where it was grafted. I managed to temporarily put duct tape and tie it back to its original position with a stick to support it. Is that enough to save it? If not please suggest me some ideas, preferably home remedies as it might take a while to get grafting supplies. I am new to gardening and newer did any grafting. The broken branch is about a feet long and 7-8 mm thick with some flowers on it.
Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urgent: help grafted branch broken

near impossible w/o pix..

but if it was dangling on a few fibers ... how do you imagine water is going to move thru it ...

most likely a goner .... as to that one branch ...

is it still under warranty???... what did they say about it ...

this is somewhat common on these gimmick plants ... well.. at least on the two i had long ago ...

ken

o

I've saved a few branches/stems this way over the years, but never one dangling by fibers. Just don't forget to remove the tape as soon as possible (when the wound has healed) if the branch lives. Trimming some of the end off could help, to decrease weight stress and the amount of mass relying on that break to heal.

Good luck!

o

Just don't forget to remove the tape as soon as possible (when the wound has healed)

==>> to mix an analogy...

the skin may heal.. but the interior wood will NEVER heal ..

especially if you suspend a fruit at the end of the branch ...

ken

o

I have been surprised in the past when a broken branch has survived and done well in the next few years. In my case wrapping the break with Parafilm tape to keep out air and prevent drying out has worked to allow the break to mend. If there is any weight above the break, a splint across the break may be needed to prevent any movement. Al

o

I had this happen to a japanese maple I had just purchased. Was told by the nursery to use a nylon stocking to wrap the branch back in position, to leave it alone and hope for the best. Not to remove the stocking for the season. Worked like a charm.

o

Hi All,
I had put electrical tape and also put a stick to support it.
It has been more than a day and the leaves and flowers look normal. I don't see any signs of distress or drying. Hope it keeps that way..
Thanks

o

Hi All,
For 3-4 weeks, it seemed to be working. But as the temperatures started warming up, it began to dry and now I don't have much hope.
Thank you for your replies.

o

Thanks for the update, sorry the news wasn't better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here