Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

need guidance on impatiens

v1rt
14 years ago

Good evening folks. I would like to know your thoughts about the link I found regarding propagating new guinea impatiens. It's my first time today to own a new guinea impatiens and I'm so excited to multiply them via cuttings. I really want to have a successful propagation.

Here is the link.

Here is a snippet taken from that url.

Propagating Impatiens

Propagating Impatiens is also easy, but getting them started is more difficult. Impatiens got their name because they keep producing flowers. More flowers are coming out when others are still blooming, as if the plant is in a hurry to put out flowers  hence the name "impatient." The steps for preparing and rooting Impatiens are listed below.

1. Find a healthy impatient plant. A healthy plant should have many flowers on it and the leaves should look full without any wilting.

2. The clippings should be about tree inches long.

3. Have a flowerpot of wet mason sand ready for each clipping you plan to root. Make a hole in the sand with your finger to plant the clipping.

4. Prepare the specimen by removing all but two or three leaves, just enough for photosynthesis. Remove blossoms or buds.

5. Dip the bottom of the stem in rooting hormone. Remember, just as with Coleus clippings, the Impatiens clipping should also have the cut end be kept wet.

6. Plant the clipping in the mason sand. Impatiens need more time to grow their roots than Coleus. Give them at least a month to take root. Some Impatiens might even need more.

7. Note that with Impatiens, not all clippings will root. Some will die. I usually leave the clipping in the sand until the first blossom. When the impatient has a flower or two, it has roots. Then it is safe to take the impatient out and put it in some nutrient rich potting soil. Miracle-Gro Potting Soil works good for Impatiens as well.

However, there was no mention where to put them. Should they be placed in a window with full sunlight? Should they be put outside on an area that will have a minimum of 6 hours? It also didn't say which part of the stem needs to be cut and how long.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?