Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollyannacorona

Should I split an iris before planting new plant?

pollyannacorona
11 years ago

I've been looking all over the internet and thought I might find some experts here. I'm usually on the decorating forums when on the site, so I am new to the garden side. I just purchased a couple of beautiful and large iris plants in 5 gallon pots. They are blooming and have many buds, compared to the garden pics I see here in the iris blogs mine are very crowded in the pot. With new buds to bloom and flowers blooming now, my question is.. is it safe to divide them now before I plant them? Not sure if they are in a more fragile state during bloom. I know they need to be divided in 3 to 5 years and the plant looks like it might be crowded and at least will likely need it next year, wondering if I should wait or can the plant take the division now? I have read you need to cut back the plant after dividing and this would not be a good time to cut back all those buds and flowers, do I wait to divide or will it survive my cuting them in half now? They are tall purple and white/purple Japanese Iris, if that makes a difference. Should I plant them the way they are now and give them a chance to settle in? There are more than about 24 fans in each pot right now maybe a little more. Thanks

Comments (6)