Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting broken honeysuckle vine?

Posted by gumtree4 Z8/BC Canada (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 3:01

I accidentally broke off two vines today while training them on my trellis. I have them sitting in water at the moment but will they root? They are about 2 1/2 feet long. Thanks to anyone that can answer this......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting broken honeysuckle vine?

Cut the "vine' to 1-2 nodes (eyes) apply 0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil 7 mist takes 25-80 days to root.

o

I propagated honeysuckle vines with so much ease even without the hormone.

Ianna

o

If I knew an antonym for "propagate" I would like to do that with MY honeysuckle vines. LOL!

o

i have also, accidentally, cut my mom's young grape vine while trimming my climbing rose. anyway, propagating honeysuckle vine is not very complicated. my mom got two long vine cuttings from her friend last year and she dug a shallow hole wide enough for the long cutting and covered it up. this year the vine is about 6 feet tall and full of blooms.(propagation by layering). i don't know the success rate of this method because my mom has a green thumb, and everything tends to grow in her guarden. you can also make cutting that have 4 nodes, each with two sets of leaves. remove the bottom two sets and leave the tops. scratch the sides of the cutting at the end and dip it in dip n grow sln or in any rooting hormone. place in a pot with soil where the base two nodes are covered. cover the cutting with a jar, or a bag to preserve moisture. the cutting will root in 6 to 8 weeks.
hope this helps

o

I have rooted several 6", give or take, (soft wood) cuttings in water, overwintered in the house, successfully planted them out and come back strong after the next winter

Vangy likes to play in the dirt

o

last month, i tried propagating honesuckle vine. i took long cutting then cut them to smaller pieces each with 2 nodes, took off the leaves from the bottom node and scratched near that nodes (bottom one). i dipped each cutting in dip N grow sln (diluted 10X for softwood) for 5 seconds, then i placed the cutting in a peat pellet with only the bottom node covered(soaked in warm water before hand to inflate) then i placed the pellet in a rectangular pot filled with regular potting soil. i placed wodden stick on the sides of the pot (sheesh kabab sticks) and wraped the top with seran nylon wrap. (the sticks are used to hold the nylon). i got impatient and thought the whole thing was a failure. so i forgot about it for a while then two days ago, i checked on it and found that 7 out of the 12 cutting has grown new tiny leaves. i was ecctatic. finally, i grew something instead of killing it ( i have a high plant mortality rate history ;). so i'm going to keep the wrap on for a couple more days, keep the humidity high, until i think the plants are hardy enough... wish me luck...

o

(follow up)
today i was transplanting one honeysuckle cutting from the big pot to an individual smaller one and i found that they all had long roots and they were all tangled.(sign of success?) i guess i should've placed them more spaced. anyway, my question is: is it okey to cut back the roots a little if they are too long, and how do i minimize the transplant shock?. i transplanted one and i placed a nylon bag on top of it and sealed it, (individual green house). is that the right way to do it? should i use special soil mix or just regular potting soil?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here