Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting geraniums

Posted by Olwas2013 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 3:25

I planted a geranium cutting in soil. How long will this take to root if it's an indoor cutting. Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting geraniums

I guess that it depends in many factors like lighting temperature, moisture, the kind of geraniums you have.

for me i just dipped the cuttings in some rooting hormone and watered the soil well.
I did not cover them or anything just put the cuttings outside in the balcony and in two weeks i could see roots at the bottom of the pot when i took the plant out with the soil.
two more weeks and the roots filled the pot and the geraniums started to make new growth.

i found out that in general geraniums are easy to root and do it in a short time.

this is when compared to another plant , Brunfelsia that even now after a months is just starting to show signs of root dots.

o

The big no no is keeping the cutting too damp. Geraniums cuttings are particularly prone to rotting. Council of perfection is to leave the cutting out in the air for a day or two before planting so the cut end can callous over. That helps prevent rot. Keep the medium fairly dry. Some bottom heat doesn't hurt.

o

Came here to say the same thing re leaving the cuttings out 24 - 48 hours to dry out the cut end before dipping in powdered rooting hormone and setting them in the pots.

Leave them until the end starts to shrink and shrivel. Makes a huge difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here