Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How and when can I propagate Surfinia?

Posted by anaman UK (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 4:21

I have bought about ten surfinia petunias this year to put in hanging baskets. Since these plants cannot be raised from seed, I assume that cuttings can be taken.

If so when is the proper time, and how should the cuttings be looked after until next spring?

Thanks for any help offered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How and when can I propagate Surfinia?

There is very informative info in the GardenForumHorticulture site in the UK with regards to growing these. It states that cuttings can be taken in Spring or Fall and that if you plant these next to a different variety of petunias they will produce seed.

o

PLEASE HELP IM STRUGGLING WITH SURFINIAS AND FUCHSIAS

o

Fuchsias are dead easy. I got this tip from a professional grower at my local flower show. All you need to do is pinch off the terminal bud and top two leaves of a branch and put it in a pot of compost. Place it under a plastic bag or similar cover to stop dehydration. I did my last batch under the cover of a transparent box which some salad came in. Keep the soil moist but not wet. The little cuttings will root very quickly ie in less than a week. If you have an established fuchsia you will already be pinching out the growing tips to train it so you have a huge supply of cuttings material. These little cuttings root much faster than longer pieces of stem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here