Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenjujurocks

Cuttings-Fig (old tree-unknown variety)

gardenjujurocks
12 years ago

Will an older variety of fig that is acclimated to the weather in my area root well if cut and stuck in a one-gallon with regular potting soil?

I've been reading on GW for years. This is my first post. I have found the information you all have provided to be absolutely breathtakingly invaluable, yet sometimes in friendly contention.

What I would like to know is whether some varieties of old figs are easier or more difficult to root from cuttings?

Is it only the handling by the propagator that determines the success, such as season, rooting medium, hardwood vs. softwood, cleanliness, slight scarring, etc...

Are there old varieties of fig that can be cut below a node, stripped of leaves, and stuck into soil and have it be that simple? Everything else I've touched has flourished. Why not this?

Truly, what are the chances my cuttings will grow roots, and how long before I can expect a positive or negative result on my warm and mostly-shaded front deck in the California Foothills?

Maybe there is such a thing as 'Too Much Information' before actually trying it myself.

It's so easy to scare ourselves silly before we try something new! Seriously, if we all looked long enough, we'd have some symptoms of every affliction on the planet. But life is why we grow things, and what we believe in.

Am I wrong to believe that my little fig sticks may reaffirm my faith in the natural strength that surrounds us?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA