Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting a cherry tree cutting

Posted by somae none (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 6:42

I recently got a cutting from a cherry tree (it seems to be a "shogetsu"). It was new growth and was green. I cut off the bark from the bottom inch and put rooting hormone and put it in peat. I put it in a large open ziplock (upside down) and have now added a little 1% peroxide since a little mold started growing.

I saw a few posts recommending removing leaves. This cutting has about 4 leaves on it (I removed the others). Are the leaves of any use for rooting or is it best to take them all off?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting a cherry tree cutting

Since there are no roots on the cuttings there is no way to replace the water lost through the leaves so yes yemove all but one leaf that will supply additional suggars for root formation & not deplete the water stored in the cutting
Also do NOT remove all the bark from the bottom of the cutting just removea small portion of the bark ...say 1 tenth of the bark...
need to remove the baggie several times a day to help preven fungal growth & to replace the air inside the bag...

o
RE: rooting a cherry tree cutting

I think you have to root this under Intermittent Mist. See Mistking.com for information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here