Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how protect cut tree limbs

Posted by dac17 (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 8:42

Hi. I had to chainsaw a feww branches recently because of a brutal ice storm this past winter (Massachusetts). As a result, the area where the branches have been cut are exposed and I am worries that disease or insects will find those areas inviting. I found a chemical based spray at Home Depot which basically seals the cut areas and protects it; however it is chemical based and I am trying to stay away from that stuff.
I would like to learn of reccomendations for a natural (or mostly natural) way to protect trees with cut branches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how protect cut tree limbs

If you cut the branches off beyond the meristem, the swollen area where the branch and trunk meet, which is the proper way, then leave it uncovered. Regardless of what you did DON'T cover it with anything. Research shows that using any type of covering does greater harm to the survival of the tree than covering the wound (cut). Throw away that 50-60's idea that still promulgates the plant world.

o

I'll agree with petzold, just to give you more confidence that the advice is sound. Tree and branch wound dressing is rarely a good idea. There are a few instances when the practice is called for, but this is not one of them.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, May 14, 09 at 15:54

Both of the above responses are right on target, but one of the Tree Forum regulars, Spruceman, has come up with some very promising ideas that might benefit you. I will provide a link below. This is one of the best novel ideas I've seen from Gardenweb, and I've been around for a loooooong time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preventing Wood Rot in Trees--Liquid Copper Fungicide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here