Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting montauk daisies

Posted by kathy0925 (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 9:17

Can you propagate montauk daisies by cutting them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting montauk daisies

I have tried to induce rooting in these dasies by a large number of ways. Cuttings taken in early spring and in early fall and using 8000 ppm IBA gave zero results. These cuttings without IBA gave the same result. Cuttings in late fall just before a killing frost and using bottom heat and overhead mist also gave zero results.However, I am prepared to try late summer cuttings with 3000 ppm IBA, bottom heat, overhead mist, and a medium of peat/perlite 1:3 with reduced lighting.I certainly hope you have better luck.

o
RE: cutting montauk daisies

From Yoder.com:
Plant or stick your cuttings promptly into moist root media. Never plant or stick into dry root media.
Water the freshly planted, or stuck cuttings immediately with a fertilizer solution containing 200 to 300 ppm N from a complete N-P-K fertilizer like 20-10-20 or similar.
Keep the media moist and use constant liquid fertilization through the crop. Use 200 to 300 ppm N through the growing season, until the buds are almost ready to show color, then switch to clear water.
Provide adequate spacing to allow proper plant development and to avoid upright plants.
Make sure you spray to prevent powdery mildew and rust

Other people here on gardenweb have had success just by sticking the cuttings directly into soil in their gardens. So, go figure.

Personally, I just wait until the seedlings appear in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here