Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

propogating monkshood/aconitum

pieheart
15 years ago

I bought three monkshood last year as a trial, they did so well I wanted to buy more. Unfortunately I can't seem to find them locally this year.

So, any tips on the best way to propogate monkshood? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• pieheart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I guess I'll try to find some more plants somewhere, I know me and I won't be dealing with cold stratification. I wish it were more widely available. Something both pretty and deer resistant! And groundhog resistant! I don't have small children or nibbly pets so I'm not worried about the toxicity.

• lomatia
    15 years ago

Comes up like a weed if you sow the FRESH seed, put the container in the freezer for 3 months then hold at 20C for germination.

• pieheart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I managed to find one more plant, I only need two more. Will it reseed?

Can I have clarification about the sowing of fresh seed, lomatia? Do I wait for it to go to seed, save the seed (I'm not sure how to do this, do I dry it?), wait until three months before last frost date, put the seeds in a pot, seal and put in the freezer for 3 months, then take it out, and keep at room temperature for it to germinate, then take it ouside (sheltered) to harden, then plant?

Sorry for the run-on sentence! I'm new at propogating, and I really have no experience at harvesting my own seeds. Lots of experience with plants that seed themselves, though. Usually where you don't want them to!

• lomatia
    15 years ago

The seeds will be in a follicle that splits down the sides when ripe.(black/grey and crinkly seeds) Cut off the dry follicles and put them in a paper bag for release. Sow immediately in a free draining medium, cover lightly and water in. (I use a plastic microwaveable takeaway container) Place it into the freezer for 3 months then thaw out and keep at 20C for germination. You could leave the tray outside if you are in a very cold area and nature will probably do the germination for you.

Remember while handling the seeds/plant that EVERY PART OF THE PLANT IS DEADLY POISONOUS and the active ingredient (aconite) can enter through the skin or via a cut etc.

• pieheart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lomatia, now I'm getting a little scared about the toxicity. Maybe I don't want more of these! I didn't realize that the poison can enter your body just by touching it. I thought that you had to ingest it.

Maybe I should be looking for other deer resistant plants that will flower so beautifully in the shade.

I think a trip to the botanical gardens is in order to see what they've planted.

• Anthony McPherson
    5 years ago

pieheart I have had up to 14 at a time and they are safe as long as you treat them properly. More nurses die from treating contagious patients than gardeners do from Monkshood. Only one accidental case of poisoning that I can recall, and most people doing the investigation think that it was "something else". Now, there HAVE been several homicides committed with it.