Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria Propagation

Posted by grancru z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 21, 06 at 9:37

Has anyone started witeria from cuttings? I have done some research and it appears fairly easy. 2-4 weeks for rooting. I plan to keep in pots for a few years.

From your experience how long does it take for a 6" cutting to flower? Is 5-10 years accurate? I am going to start mine now and transplant in 3 years. I hope to get flowers in 3-5 years after that.

Any thoughts? Or, possibly suggestions of other vines that are as interesting but flower quicker.

Grancru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria Propagation

Take cuttings June through August. Apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist Takes 40-100 days. Should get flowers the next year The 3-5 years for flowering is for plants from SEED not cuttings. After rooting I lightly feed once a week & by the next spring they are ready to set out. I usually pick off the flowers the first year.....

o

I have some wisteria that I have been training into trees and standards and they are coming up from the runners(vines) and they are flowering already and they are about a year or two old and are about 2 foot or better in height they seem to flower whenever they want to. The big one is flowering again!

o

I just cut some new growth from an old plant, can I just stick the vines in water and put them by my sunless window for the winter ? Wiil they root ?

o

Flowpow2,

Most woody plants cannot be rooted in water. Even the small minority that can do MUCH better and are MUCH easier to root when rooted in a potting medium. Follow Georgez5il's (or similar) advise. If you don't have a misting chamber (which I am almost positive you won't), just make a moisture tent out of a large jar, plastic sheeting, or a big tupperware-type storage box. Be careful to keep a CLOSE watch on soil moisture (not just on top, but down at root level - especially if you try to use something like typical potting soil). There are many threads in this forum that should cover your questions on the best potting medium (perlite or whatever).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here