Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attempted to root a cutting - now what?

Posted by amyinalabama 8b (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 9:46

So, I rooted a cutting but what's next? I followed the instructions on the rooting hormone, then put the cutting in potting soil. What do I do to baby it along? Right now it's outside in the shade - should it be brought in? How will I know if worked? How long do I wait and what will I see to clue me in? I'm purposefully not mentioning the plant - I'd like to know in general terms please.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attempted to root a cutting - now what?

water it... perhaps bag it to increase humdity .... AND WAIT ...

when roots grow out the bottom of the pot.... it has rooted ...

no further info without proper ID .. ken

o

Different plants require different things.

Don't let it dry out.

Janie

o

Thanks. This one's a hydrangea but I was hoping to follow the same advice for the zillions of plants I want to try this with, lol. Ok, well not zillions, but at least everything in my yard. :)

As far as bagging it - how does that work? Just in a ziplock? Does it need sun or shade?

Also, does the size of the pot matter? This one's pretty big compared to the cutting. I didn't think much of it til I saw the comment about roots growing out the bottom!

TIA!

o

never in sun ... there aren't any roots to take up water .... bright shade ...

small pots... just because a zillion pots later.. you wont have a yard left .. lol ...

a baggie .. clear ... the idea is to create a small greenhouse to increase humidity .. so that the leaves can soak up some moisture that the lack of roots aren't providing for the plant ...

in a baggie.. there would be no water loss .. you could use 6 oz plastic cups .. with the bottom crease slit for drainage ....

ken

o

Thanks! Very helpful!

o

I'm in your same zone and I rooted a couple of hydrangeas in April and I didn't even cover them (I just forgot to). They rooted just fine. I potted them up this week. I even accidently turned the blower on them back in May when I was blowing the leaves off my deck and they still did fine. Hydrangea cuttings are pretty darn forgiving. They don't even seem to mind my continued pulling to see if the roots are holding! Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here