Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asiatic lily care

Posted by gman_ca ca (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 10:10

What is the proper way to care for the asiatic lily? For example...once the flower dies, what is the proper way to prune this plant...Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asiatic lily care

let it die back all the way, the stem will turn brown and woody. once that happens, cut it off flush with the ground. lillies are like tulips and daffodils where they need their green leaves to make food for them over the winter.

o

Hi, I usually trim the middle part of the flower, you know where the petals were attached, once they fall off, so the plant doesn't waiste time making seed. Last year when I dug my lillies up to move them there were soooo many bulblets. I planted them next to the mature bulbs and the largest bulblets even have small buds this year. That is why I don't let them make seed, so they can spend all of their energy making bulblets.

o

What exactly are bulblets? Is this what causes the plant to spread and thicken?

o

bulblets are pre bulbs. they grow at the base of the bulb and they take about three years to flower, some take up to five. bulbils are produced on the stems of some lilies these you can treat like seeds and put them in the ground.

o

If you want more plants, scaling is much quicker than bulblets. Asiatic lilies started from scales will bloom the first year. Al

o

What exactly is scaling?

o

To learn about scaling, Google "Lily bulb scaling". Al

o

I have 3 bulbs planted in a 12" pot. They've had doliage for months. When will they bloom?

o

All my Asiatic bulbs bloomed a month ago, here in northern California. Were these purchased bulbs, that you know were full blooming size? Al

o

I just planted a few asiatic lilies on clearence (with no blooms) So just wait till they turn brownish at the base of stem, then cut them back flush to ground. Please advise!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here