Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gman_ca

asiatic lily care

gman_ca
17 years ago

What is the proper way to care for the asiatic lily? For example...once the flower dies, what is the proper way to prune this plant...Thanks

Comments (10)

• cody_mi
    16 years ago

let it die back all the way, the stem will turn brown and woody. once that happens, cut it off flush with the ground. lillies are like tulips and daffodils where they need their green leaves to make food for them over the winter.

• mommyto2
    16 years ago

Hi, I usually trim the middle part of the flower, you know where the petals were attached, once they fall off, so the plant doesn't waiste time making seed. Last year when I dug my lillies up to move them there were soooo many bulblets. I planted them next to the mature bulbs and the largest bulblets even have small buds this year. That is why I don't let them make seed, so they can spend all of their energy making bulblets.

• psychomycho
    14 years ago

What exactly are bulblets? Is this what causes the plant to spread and thicken?

• cody_mi
    14 years ago

bulblets are pre bulbs. they grow at the base of the bulb and they take about three years to flower, some take up to five. bulbils are produced on the stems of some lilies these you can treat like seeds and put them in the ground.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

If you want more plants, scaling is much quicker than bulblets. Asiatic lilies started from scales will bloom the first year. Al

• cbeierly
    13 years ago

What exactly is scaling?

13 years ago

To learn about scaling, Google "Lily bulb scaling". Al

• cbordelon
    12 years ago

I have 3 bulbs planted in a 12" pot. They've had doliage for months. When will they bloom?

12 years ago

All my Asiatic bulbs bloomed a month ago, here in northern California. Were these purchased bulbs, that you know were full blooming size? Al

• User
    9 years ago

I just planted a few asiatic lilies on clearence (with no blooms) So just wait till they turn brownish at the base of stem, then cut them back flush to ground. Please advise!!