Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Endless summer hydrangea propagation

Posted by rob_r 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 10:13

Last fall I took one of the lower braches of my endless summer hydrangea removed lower leaves, scuffed up one of the leaf nodes, sprinkled a little rooting hormone, mounded soil over the branch and placed a brick on top. My hope was to create a twin to plant next to my existing hydrangea. However, it has not started to root yet. The buried branch is alive and healthy.

What am I doing wrong? Not enough water maybe? Will regular watering of the branch in question with seaweed emulsion help? Please advise.

Thanks,
Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Endless summer hydrangea propagation

seaweed emulsion will be of psychilogical (yours) help but of no real value in rooting your cutting. During the fall the plant is dormant & will have little value in forming roots... "I" would start over NOW would the branch at or near a leaf none.. apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) & recover branch.....

o

Hydrangea root readily when cuttings are taken while the plant is growing well, starting about now. Al

o

Hello all, I'm a nubie. Can someone tell me about the different 0.1% IBA 0.3% and so on rooting hormones. Thanks

o

This year I tried out a low maintenance trick I read about here on Gardenweb for rooting plants with some hydrangea cuttings. I had great success with this method.

Take a small clay pot, and seal the drainage hole. (I used some silicone aquarium sealant I already had.)

Take a large plastic pot (I used one a hanging basket plant came in) and add a few inches of rooting medium to the bottom.

Place the small clay pot in the center of the plastic pot on top of the rooting medium, and then add more rooting medium to fill in the space between the outside wall of the clay pot and the inside wall of the plastic pot.

Stick the cuttings into the rooting medium between the two pots.

Fill the clay pot with water and place it in a shady spot. The water will move through the clay pot and keep the rooting medium moist.

All you have to do is add more water to the clay pot once a week or so.

I created three of these 'rooting pots' and have stuck five cuttings in each. I've had 100% success with my cuttings using this method.

My rooting medium was a 50/50 mix of Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix and Sharp Sand.

I did not use any rooting hormone.

o

I have a garden in Northern France, Normandy. Hydrangea were the easiest cutting I have ever done, 100% success rate. Take 3 - 4 inch cuttings in the summer, large leaves can be cut in half. Dip in hormone powder and plant into small pots and leave in cold frame, I wintered mine in a green house, making use of bubble wrap and polystyrene to prevent roots freezing. By early spring young plants were about 8 to 9 inches tall. Planted out in a sheltered area by the end of April and I will relocate them when they are of a sufficient size. They will need plenty of water when in the cold frame, but minimal watering was required in the greenhouse during the colder weather. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here