Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation media

Posted by stevenmbittner 11572 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:28

Trying to grow common herbs (rosemary, dill, spearmint, chocolate mint, and lavender) and I've had success with propagation by cutting in a water medium. However, I've read that growing by solid media is better. I was wondering if I could use pebbles/small rocks and just put the cutting in there?

Steven

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation media

I suggest a medium that provides air and water....like perlite or vermiculite....since you might not be comfortable with a coarse potting medium. Using rocks or pebbles is no different than plain water.....only with rocks tossed in.

The roots still have to get their oxygen dissolved in the water. By using a medium that holds water in the pores plant roots access both water and oxygen the natural way. Oxygen is absolutely essential for the rapid cell division that goes on during propagation.

o
RE: Propagation media

I just stuck in a few cuttings of a pot of perlite, and I put a plastic bag over it to keep in the moisture. Will this work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here