Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangeblossom76

How long should I keep rooting pepper plant in water?

orangeblossom76
13 years ago

I have been rooting a "yummy bell pepper" plant in water since i had to pull it out of the pot about a week ago - there were two seedlings in the 4inch pot, and i was told that i couldn't grow both together in a 3 gallon container.

there were a few short (1/3 inch) roots - so i've put it in a cup of water and wow - i've been amazed at the root growth! There are about 20 little root shoots on one side (opposite side of original roots) and about a dozen on the other side - most over 1/2 inch long. They seem to have doubled since yesterday!

My plan was to plant them in a small pot, keep in my kitchen window until firmly established, and then plant outside in a large container.

So. . how long do i need to leave it in the water? Can i leave it too long and it all rots? Should i go ahead and stick it in dirt?

And when i plant it in small pot - do i need to use a certain kind of mix? my regular potting soil has fertilizer - too strong? I have some other stuff without fertilizer as well as some sand - should i mix some sand in, etc?

thanks!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida