Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should I keep rooting pepper plant in water?

Posted by orangeblossom76 Ga (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 11:59

I have been rooting a "yummy bell pepper" plant in water since i had to pull it out of the pot about a week ago - there were two seedlings in the 4inch pot, and i was told that i couldn't grow both together in a 3 gallon container.

there were a few short (1/3 inch) roots - so i've put it in a cup of water and wow - i've been amazed at the root growth! There are about 20 little root shoots on one side (opposite side of original roots) and about a dozen on the other side - most over 1/2 inch long. They seem to have doubled since yesterday!
My plan was to plant them in a small pot, keep in my kitchen window until firmly established, and then plant outside in a large container.

So. . how long do i need to leave it in the water? Can i leave it too long and it all rots? Should i go ahead and stick it in dirt?

And when i plant it in small pot - do i need to use a certain kind of mix? my regular potting soil has fertilizer - too strong? I have some other stuff without fertilizer as well as some sand - should i mix some sand in, etc?

thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should I keep rooting pepper plant in water?

They might know more over at the hot pepper forum, but the sooner you plant it in soil, the better. I'd put it in a lite mix of perlite/peat/potting soil. Sand won't hurt it, and fertilizer will help it. If you look in the container forum, there is a whole thread with a formula for Al's gritty mix. That is a well drained potting soil that everyone raves about. I think the name of the thread is Water Movement in soils, or something like that, and it's close to the top of the thread list.

I have 4 peppers, but mine are outside in the dirt. Peppers can live to 40 years and can grow into large gnarly bushes. Mine are never without peppers. I do have the hot kind, however. I'm not sure if they like snow, so containers that you can bring in are probably best. We have zero snow here, and even in the cold weather, they bear peppers.

It's pretty hard to kill a pepper. They are very tough. They can even be bonsai'd, and you know that process! They trim roots, put in very little dirt, and the plant still lives! TOUGH little guys!

I'd get those planted ASAP!
Suzi

o
RE: How long should I keep rooting pepper plant in water?

Awesome! Thanks. She's now growing happily in a 4 inch pot. i figured i will wait to see actual growth b/f i transfer into a bigger container.

thanks for the tips - since they are in containers. . i think i might end up bringing one in for the winter. and the bonsai. . fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here