Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating lilacs

Posted by lilacs_of_may 5/6 CO (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 08 at 12:38

My neighbor has a large lilac bush right next to the fence, and several branches have grown under the fence and into my yard.

Which is great. I love lilacs. But is there a way to take a cutting and root it so I could transplant it elsewhere in my yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating lilacs

Lilacs are a LOT easier to start from a rooted sucker which can be dug from the ground around the mother plant. You could also take one of those branches coming into your yard and pin it to the soil cover lightly keep damp, stake up the end, and in a few months roots will have grown and it can be cut from the mother plant and planted where you like. Al

o
RE: Propagating lilacs

Maybe you can ask your neighbor if there are 'babies' on his side under the mother bush that you could dig and transplant. Our first spring at our house we noticed about 120 babies under an old half dead bush. I have successfully transplanted most and have given a lot to friends. I dug a hole about 3x the size of the roots so they could spread out and watered them every other day for about 2 weeks. The second year they went from 12" to 2-3' tall and are doing great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here