Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star of Jasmine Cuttings?

Posted by gardengal_2006 7,8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 07 at 12:51

I am very new to this and was wondering if you can take a cutting from a Star of Jasmine plant and put it in water. Will it root? If so do I do this inside or out? What part of the plant do I take the cutting from? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star of Jasmine Cuttings?

Jasmine can be propagated using softwood, semi-ripe or hardwood cuttings. It can also be done with layering (A personal favorite of mine). You will probably want to get some rooting hormone and fungicide as well. These are relatively inexpensive 3-6 dollars each.

If you are really interested in taking cuttings or plant propagation in general I strongly recommend this book: Plant propagation by Alen Toogood. It was my very first plant book and is still my all time favorite. There are two copies of this book out. The first is published by the National Home Gardening Club (This is the one you want) and the other is published by the American Horticultural Society. The Books are the exact same with the exception of the cover. The only difference is that the American Horticulture Society charges about 35 dollars more. The following link has the book for sale for 5 bucks. It has lots of pictures and TONS of plants.

FYI I am also very new to this as well (one about 8 weeks of propagating) but this book has taught me so much. Feel free to email me if you have anymore questions.

Hope that helped.

Heather Anderson

PS Let me know if you jasmine cuttings work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon link to book---read reviews too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here