o
lilac bush cloning

Posted by awatson24 michigan (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 13:27

how do you clone lilac bushes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilac bush cloning

Many Lilac will produce sucker growth that is genetically identical to the parent. When they are about four inches tall they can be dug and separated from the parent plant.

Cuttings can be taken when flowering is finished and the leaves have hardened off. Dirr says that soft wood cuttings dipped in rooting hormone root easily but are difficult to overwinter. Seed have two disadvantages in that they are not likely to be true to their parentage and two have double dormancy. Moreover, seed propagation is not going to render a clone, obviously.
In your area I would say that if you have access to a heated greenhouse or a warm coldframe cuttings would be the best bet. That being said I would also suggest taking and rooting large amounts and hoping that a few would make it through the winter.

o
RE: lilac bush cloning

not exactly cloning but if u dig all the way around one chain it and rip it out u can plant the pieces everywhere

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here