Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spider plant seeds

Posted by best_botanist (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 13:45

hello, i was wondering if anyone had experice collect spider plant seeds. my plants are flowereing, can anyone tell me how to get seeds from my plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spider plant seeds

The seed pods will be long and get fat as the seeds ripen. The green sprays that stick out giving it that spidery appearance. They are where the seeds will come from.

That is the best way I can explain it. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

good luck

carey

o

ok ... arent there two spider plants...

the indoor variety ....

and the outdoor variety??? ... cleome?????

so i suppose it matters which you are asking about.... and a good reason to learn the latin name.... i avoided such learning for 25 years ... to my detriment ...

the first answer describes cleome .. the outdoor one...

the indoor plant has whtie starlike flowers that turn into brown/black seeds later... about the size of 'O' .... never tried to grow them ... as offsets are much easier to root ....

good luck

ken

o

well, they the flowers just bloom and dri up, is that normal? do i need to pollinate?

o

Thank you ken_adrian. I will be the first to admit I am horrible with latin names. I also didnt even think of the house plant ( I didnt realize they set seed)

Carey

o

i am talking about the inside plant, it has about 5 more flower pods.

o

Hello, I have indoor spider plants. The strings that come down from the plant have babies, white flowers and seed pods. When the seed pods dry up they split open and drop the seeds. So I now take the pods off and open them taking the seeds out to dry. Each pod has a few seeds in them, not just one. I have a site that has photo's of some of my other plants. But look forward of adding a spider photo somewhere on the site. Possibly you would like to view some of my other plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Family and Puppies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here