Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting squash onto buffalo gourd

Posted by fabaceae_native z6 NM (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 13:46

Is there anyone out there crazy enough to have tried what I'm thinking of doing?

I've researched this and found evidence that it works, and would like to try grafting some winter squash vines onto existing wild buffalo gourd, Cucurbita foetidissima plants. If you're not familiar with this wild gourd, it grows throughout the South and West of the US as a long-lived perennial trailing vine that produces immense crops of 3-inch gourds every summer. It never falls prey to squash bugs or borers, and always seems to be healthy and vigorous on scant resources. Someone interested in no-till cropping could potentially grow squash a bunch of squash this way off of a single large buffalo gourd plant.

Any input as to the grafting method, etc., would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting squash onto buffalo gourd

i never heard of veggie grafting ... ken

o

Yeah Ken, veggie grafting is not too unusual. The reasons for it are often unusual though I guess... From what I understand grafting of things like tomatoes is typically done in areas plagued by certain soil-borne diseases/pests.

Grafting of cucurbits is practiced mainly to increase plant growth and yield.

Also, I'm sure you've seen those gimicky seed catalogs selling tomato plants grafted onto a potato, so you get both crops from a single plant?

I'm interested in this buffalo gourd idea because of the plant's tough perennial character. I'm definitely not the first to be interested in this plant, as horticulturists have been trying to put it to use for a century now, for the oil in its seed, the starch in its enormous taproot, as well as for its genes. The latter has not worked out, since it will not hybridize with other members of its genus (some ploidy problem I gather).

o

This sounds very promising. I will have to be on the lookout for some buffalo gourds this next year and try grafting some cucumber or squash seeds onto a buffalo gourd. Hopefully it will not make the cucumber or sqaush poisonous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here