Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will my mini greenhouse work?

Posted by gardenobsessed z6PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 08 at 13:52

I want to try to get some softwood cuttings going. This is finally the right time of year right? Although I think I may still be early for some things. I am very green to propagating so I would appreciate any feedback and tips you could provide.

I have a mini, mini greenhouse, more like a coldframe. The dimensions are approximately 5 feet long by 3 feet deep by 3 feet high. Will this work for softwood cuttings? I have cloches that I could use instead. Which option do you think is better? Temperatures right now are varying a lot! We had 86 degrees yesterday, which was unusually hot, and today it won't get out of the 60's. Average high is 76. Will it be warm enough at night?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will my mini greenhouse work?

It should work BUT the proof is in the results give it a try..... Note that rooting is promoted by warm soil temp & not the air temp... keep humidity high & good air circulation.

o
RE: Will my mini greenhouse work?

I agree with Georgez5il. To clarify the term 'warm' soil, it should be between 65 and 75 degrees F for best results. If the temp. is above or below, the propagation rate will be slower or less than at optimal conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here