Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
futurenurse

What is a witches broom and why is it special?

futurenurse
18 years ago

Hi~

I've noticed what I believe to be a witches broom on my neighbor's Japanese Red Maple. It is a branch that sticks out from the regular shape of the tree, and has a dense branching of its own.

I know these brooms are favorites for propagators...but I'm wondering...why? Is there a difference in the genetics of these brooms...different than the rest of the tree? Why are these variations propagated?

~D

P.S. Yes...I'll probably get a cutting and propagate it :-). My name is Darlene and I am a pertetual propagator... :-)

Comments (17)

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Hi Darlene,
    I am a z6 future nurse as well! I am not sure about the brooms you are talking about. From what I know a witches broom is a disease of a woody plant caused by leafhoppers and Aphids and such. It makes bunches of bare stems that resemble a witches broom. That's all I know. I suppose if this is the case they would be quickly removed as it would kill the rest of the plant. But, this doesn't sound like the broom you are reffering to. I'll have to check into that! Happy gardening and nursing!

~mgood4u

• futurenurse
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi~

I have 3 more weeks until the end of this quarter and I can hardly wait!!! This quarter is Med/Surg and Peds. I am so burned out I can hardly stand it...summer will feel so good--

Another member suggested that I google "witches broom" which was an excellent suggestion...it is frequently propagated because it makes nice bonsai plants. The branch I saw is not a true witches broom (sadly), but I'm am on the lookout for one. It would be great to propagate and see if I can start a bonsai plant from "scratch".

I'm a nut about gardening too...I actually have a rainsuit that I put on when it is too muddy or raining. Most people stay inside!

LOL

:-)

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

LOL. Another gardener told me their nieghbor used to garden at night with a miner's helmet! Thank goodness I am done for the summer now! we just finished Peds/OB/Geriatrics. Loved OB--HATED Geriatrics!!!

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Re: witches brooms: Cuttings taken from them usually retain the dwarfing characteristics of the witches broom, as well as any odd leaf formations, etc. That's why they're popular with plant hounds. Many dwarf forms of familiar plants originated as chance witches brooms. An example: A witches broom was observed on an otherwise normal male American Holly in Alabama. Cuttings were taken, and now, some years later, 'William Hawkins' is in the trade, a handsome, dwarf, deep green holly with an unusual and striking narrow leaf form.

Soeur

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Witches' Brooms are very important in ornamental horticulture and have been for centuries. Keep your eyes out!

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Good luck with your cuttings and you eduction.
    keep 'em plants growin
    Lois an old worn out nurse

• nandina
    18 years ago

Darlene,
    If you enjoy propagating then you probably know all the following. Just in case...here are a few thoughts for you. Most of the dwarf conifers/hardwoods on the market were once witches brooms that sharp eyed gardeners spotted by chance. Usually a witches broom results from insect damage to a branch or storm damage. They are to be treasured and sometimes are more difficult to propagate. May I suggest that when you are ready to take cuttings that you only take a few. Don't remove the whole witches broom at once. Then, if you fail to root them you can return for more cuttings or, perhaps, take some cuttings to a professional who may have better luck. Often they have to be bud grafted onto suitable stock. I have found that the seeds of maple witches brooms are sterile. Sometimes these maple aberations will set scads of seed. Good luck!

• Marilyn_MO
    18 years ago

Just read your message--never heard of a witches broom before. Think I have seen some, in fact may have one on a pine tree, but didn't know what they were. If I do find one how do I proceed with propragating it? I have done very little propragating and need to learn how, from step one. By the way, old gardners don't die they just spade
    away.

• zjones
    18 years ago

You might find additional info on the conifer forum - some very experienced grafters lurking around over there. I have my eye on a broom on a white pine here but the broom is growing right over a high voltage line on a very busy street in town - why don't they ever grow within 5' of the ground in public parks? Darn witches!

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

I've spotted a local black walnut tree with a serpentine growth habit, somewhat similar to 'corkscrew' willow, and while I've not noticed WBs on it, it does tend to have some prominent fasciated(flattened, thickened) twigs that I haven't seen on the other local BWs.
    Have been trying to graft/bud this selection - including some of the fasciated branches - to no avail, for the past 3 years.
    Eventually, I'll get one started; curious to see if this growth habit is stable in grafted clones.

• kcassidy
    18 years ago

Witches Broom is usually caused by a viral infection, transmitted by various insects.

• Vera_EWASH
    18 years ago

Witches Brooms can also be a sign of a boron deficiency.

Vera

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

If it is a witches broom, you may have better luck grafting it. Or finding someone to graft. I have not had much luck taking cutting from maple. But you may get lucky. LOL
    Also I am not sure that "usually" can be used to explain were or how witches brooms result. There are many reason why, this could happen. Not sure if there are definite reasons why though.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

As a greenhouse/nursery student and from what I have learned.....a witches broom is often a sign of Boron deficiency.

Vera

Here is a link that might be useful: Diagnosing Plant Damage-A Systematic Approach

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

opps guess I replied before...lol! Sorry bout that :)))

Vera

• kcassidy
    17 years ago

The boron defficiency must be something new, my BS degree in Horticullture is only 20+ years old!!!
    Nice thing about science, we are always finding new things
    which enhance our knowledge

Mike Cassidy

• granbobbie
    16 years ago

Found this on the web & thought I'd post it.

WITCHES' BROOM, a bunch of many upright or spreading, abnormally clustered branches or twigs that is formed on plants as a result of attack by parasites. Witches' brooms are symptoms of infection. Although they can occur on nonwoody plants such as alfalfa, potato, and aster, they are most familiar on shrubs and trees, where some may exceed 10 feet in diameter. They may resemble a bush, a bird's nest, or a handleless broom attached to the host plant. Some may consist wholly or partially of dead branches; others, of living branches that can continue to grow for many years. The leaves they bear may be distorted; they may appear later in spring and drop earlier in fall than the normal leaves of the plant, and they may be yellowed. Flowers are rarely produced. The parasites whose presence stimulates the formation of witches' brooms include fungi (on alder, birch, red cedar, and white cedar); bacteria (on pine); dwarf mistletoes (on pine, larch, and fir); viruses (on peach and black locust); and mites (on hackberry and willow). The stimulus responsible for certain types of witches' brooms is not well understood. Some witches' brooms may cause stunting or even death of the host plant, especially when many brooms develop on one individual. Other kinds do not appear to damage the host appreciably; however, they are unsightly and therefore may be objectionable, especially on street and ornamental trees. Control of witches' brooms on woody plants is best accomplished by removing and burning the brooms.

John W. Thieret

Chicago Natural History Museum

Copyright Grolier Educational Corporation (C) 1996.