Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propogating New Guinea Impatiens

Posted by sunnyside1 z6/SW Mo. (My Page) on
Thu, May 4, 06 at 15:24

Hello! Could anyone tell me how they propogated New Guinea impatiens? I bought two plants in pots and they are leggy, but very fresh and beautiful. Could I cut them back and start cuttings in water? Or in potting mix?? The stems are much like our regular impatiens, which I have increased by rooting in water. I don't think I would use Rootone for these, as the stems are very fleshy. Should I take the flowers off the stems I want to root?
Any ideas?? Thank you so much.
Sunny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propogating New Guinea Impatiens

I take cuttings & apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist.....
Yes remove most of the leaves & all flowers....

o
RE: Propogating New Guinea Impatiens

Okay. So I can use rooting hormone. "& mist." Forgot about misting! Yes, I will try this tomorrow. I have a greenhouse, so the humidity is good in there. I love to experiment and have some very good ideas from this forum.
Thank you!
Sunny

o
RE: Propagating New Guinea Impatiens

I wanted to post the results of my propagation experiments on New Guinea impatiens. I used two methods on two different potted plants. In one group, I used rooting hormone in sterile medium in peat pots. Took 8 cuttings. All but two cuttings rooted, and I'm not sure the two are not going to look better eventually. A couple of these 6 are even blooming! The same day I took three cuttings and put them in water. They have all rooted. The two plants I took cuttings from look much, much better as they were pretty scraggly when I bought them. I'll harden them all off this week and plant them out soon.

If you really think about it, almost everything we do is an experiment. It was fun getting these new plants. And now I know it can be done! Hope this helps someone else who might like more impatiens.

Sunny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here