Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agw567

Vitis Cuttings

agw567
13 years ago

Hi,

What is the best way to propagate these. I have Vitis Vinifera and I have had a relatively low strike rate.

Comments (7)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

take a 3 eye (node) cutting of curent years growth (I prefer hardwood cuttings taken late fall) but may use firm new growth..... apply 0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil (if has leaf then mist.)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Grape cuttings propagate much easier if you callous them first, unless they are green softwood.

Did you just take these green? If you did, you can root them in water, and then protect them and put them in the ground to harden off. I did that last year, and out of 10, 2 actually lived, went dormant, and are much bigger this year.

I just tried a bunch of dormant cuttings. Some calloused, and some not. Most in 1 part peat to 3 parts damp perlite, inside in a warm spot, and within 2 weeks most showed leaves, but several of those didn't make it yet because there are no roots. Some are trying, and I pulled a few out of their perlite just to see, and a few actually have roots starting, so they have a chance.

Those that calloused, have 4-6" shoots and a ton of leaves. Those outside leafed out about 2 weeks after the ones in the house. Of the first 6 to appear, 4 survived so far, but now and then, a new one appears, so I'm waiting to see which do survive. These get morning sun only.

Good luck!

• agw567
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm now seeing fluffy mould all over the stems ; I had them in a small propagating unit. Will this kill them off?

13 years ago

mix bleach 1 part to 9 parts water, and paint that over the mold. It won't hurt the vine, but it will zap the mold. I always scrub my cuttings first with a toothbrush and antibacterial soap, rinse, then brush them in the bleach solution with no rinse. Any mold that has tried to come in has gotten zapped again with bleach. Again, it won't hurt the cutting! Just the mold! Good luck!

• agw567
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks desertdance, I'll try that. In the meantime until I can try that, is it safe to just put them outside, without the cover?

13 years ago

Maybe try them inside first, without the cover. Do you see any leaves at all? It's safe to put them outside as long as they are in the shade, protected from the elements. I spray mine about 5 times each day to keep them damp. But the fresh air will inhibit mold! Just these gnats always circle! Not sure what to do about those! Mine are outside now, some have zero growth, and some amazing growth. I talk to mine too!! :-)

Some of my cuttings had too much length, so I made sure I had 2 buds under and one on top, and cut the rest off, and laid the discards (one or two buds each) on their sides in a 1 1/2" deep dirt ditch covered with loose dirt (at least 1/2 day shade), and those are doing almost as well as the BIG cuttings. Just a few more vines, a little more wine!

No complaints here!

• agw567
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now there's 7 large rooted cuttings out of The batch of 80... Not a good strike rate, but not complaining. :)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm