Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ficus tree (re-pot)

Posted by gw409 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 15:53

hi-
posted here as i couldn't find anything more specific to my subject.

i have a older ficus tree appx 6-7 feet. it was given to me a few years ago. i wanted to re pot to a slightly larger pot,when i did i noticed the bottom third of the root system was severly bound in some plastic and filter fabric type barrier. i removed it as best as i could and freede up the roots and did the re pot with fresh pottting mix.

there were a lot of long sparce limbs with growth on top only. i cut those down to a convenient junction to stimulate lateral growth. i noticed a lot of white seepage, should i worry? i put the plant outside as i always put them outside in summer and inside in fall.

i know ficus trees can be finicky, is there anything else i should have done to give it the best shot at good health?

thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ficus tree (re-pot)

i dont understand why this is in the propagation forum ...

am i missing the propagation part ... ???

ken

o

gw, it sounds like you did what you pretty much had to do, once you discovered the problem with the root system.

Ficus always seep white latex-like fluid.

If you wish to ask more questions about your plant, or post pictures of your procedure, you might want to post in the House Plant Forum. Ken is the appointed forum sheriff around these parts, I guess. ;-)

Seriously, you'll find lots of interest and help in the other forum.

o

Your location is a secret, but I would keep your newly repotted tree in the shade, and just be patient. Al

o

Hi, I agree with the house plant suggestion. There are different types of Ficus. Do you know which one yours is?

Since we've been chided to tie this discussion to propagation... if this was within the past couple days and you still have them, it may be possible to get new plants from some parts of the plant that you removed. Is that something you're interested in? Maybe something cool to know for the next time a trim is necessary.

o

thanks, i will re-post in the house plant forum.

on that note, as purpleinopp had offered, yes i would be interested in knowing the basic procedure for trying to generate plants from clippings.

thank you

o

Very basically:

You can see where this piece of plant has 3 nodes below the leaves, places where leaves were growing from the stem. Nodes are where roots can also form. So a cutting is a piece of plant, usually the tip of a branch or stem, where one removes the lower foliage. The cutting is then put in soil with the tip sticking out. After some time, which varies depending on the plant and a lot of other issues, roots can from the buried nodes where leaves used to grow. Viola - you have a new plant!

o

Ken is the appointed forum sheriff around these parts, I guess. ;-)

you know its just about guiding someone to the place where they might find the peeps with the most focused knowledge ...

you wouldnt go to the nursery.. to buy a new couch.. would you.. lol

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here