Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to propagate varigated red twig dogwood?

Posted by lisa2004 NY Z5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 30, 09 at 16:01

I have 2 large bushed that I can take cuttings from. What is the best way to do this? Last year I tried clipping some larger branches and just putting them in a bucket of water to see if they would develop roots. They were dead in a few days. If I HAVE to use rooting hormone, how do I do this? I've never used it before. Thanks in advance for any advice. Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to propagate varigated red twig dogwood?

Lisa2004, you could take some softwood cuttings, probably towards the end of this month, and onward. You just remove the top 3-4" of a branch, strip off the bottom leaves, trim back the top leaves by half, dip the stem into some rooting hormone for softwood cuttings, and then put it into a small pot that has freely draining moist potting soil (or propagation mix, if you can find it). Cover the cuttings with a plastic dome or bag, and place it in a shady spot. It should stay green and healthy looking and start to pull roots in 6-8 weeks. However, you will have to baby it through the winter. Alternatively, you could try layering some branches. By next year, they should have rooted and you can sever them from the parent plant.

o

Thank you. I'm going to give it a try.

o

Commercially I've heard a lot of dogwood is done by taking 14" cuttings after they drop their leaves, poking them 10" into the ground, and leaving them over winter.

o

It's very easy to ground layer lower twigs.
Just bend them down, scrape off the bottom side of the branches to expose the cambium, paint with root hormone, pile some soil over the spot and hold it down with a brick or two.
Water once in a while.

Easy as pie. Works very well with many shrubs, even with Clematis.

o

The two bushes that I have frequently have low branches that touch the ground and develop roots (which would be nature's way of ground layering, I think). I haven't been successful in cutting them off from the main bush and planting them elsewhere yet. I'm going to give it another try...
Sherwood, you way sounds very easy~ think I'll try that too this fall.

o

Hardwood cuttings will root very easily. I haven't had any success with softwood on red twig dogwood cuttings. You don't need rooting hormone with the hardwood cuttings usually just sticking them in the ground is good enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here