Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

How to propogate Jasmines?

mrao77
17 years ago

I have a couple of Jasmines (pink, night blooming, sambac, grand duke etc) that I wish I could propogate and share with friends and fellow gardeners. ANyone have advice on the best method? I have tried rooting hormone and water, no luck!

Thanks,

M

Comments (4)

• raghuvansh
    17 years ago

hi mrao,
    i have been able to propogate night blooming jasmine (cestrum nocturnum) without much effort. all u need to do is take cuttings of a decent size (upto 8-9 inches), preferably terminal, remove the leaves in lower 1+1/2 to 3 inches, peal to expose the cambium layer in this part soak in water for a couple of minutes, apply rooting hormone and simply poke this into coarse sand upto a depth such that remaining leaves stay above sand. cover this pot with a clear polybag or something such that it forms a small greenhouse of its own; this is crucial for quick results. mist it a couple of times a day after removing this cover.
    just take care that u have atleast a couple of nodes on the lower part of the cutting that u expose by pealing.
    wait till u c activity on the cutting. then repot in a different medium after pulling the new plant out of sand. almost any garden medium will do (not the coarse sand it was rooted in).
    best of luck with your jasmines. keep us posted.
    raghuvansh

• hlily
    17 years ago

I have had moderate success with sambac and grand duke. I just took a soft cutting, peeled all the lower leaves dipped in rooting hormone and planted it in a pot with miracle grow potting mix. I had better luck when the weather was warm outside in the summer that indoors in winter ( I am in Illinois zone 5 ). I made sure the soil was moist at all times. In any case they take a fair amount of time to start growing.
    When I lived in India my father propagated using layering with good success almost all the time. We would just take a long branch, remove some leaves in the middle and dip that part in the soil near the plant and anchor it down. In about 2 or 3 months we will cut it from the mother plant and a couple of weeks later we will transplant it. I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

• mrao77
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great sugesstions, folks!! I will give it a shot. DO I use soft wood cuttings or hardwood...since terminal cuttings are generally new gorwth, softwood is my guess. So how do I remove the cambium layer?
    By the way, things in India are so sooo easy to grow..everything roots without much effort! It must be the warm climate!! I do miss those fragant flowers. What are you all growing?
    Thanks again,
    Malini

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I haven't gotten around to trying to take cuttings from my Jasmine yet, but here's a publication that might help with the process. It suggests taking "semi-hardwood" cuttings.

And just for kicks and grins - here are some of the 19 (so far of 24 planted) starts for curry leaf plant that I have managed not to kill yet. I'm not sure when I'm going to transplant them out of the deep root paks they are in, but not for awhile yet.

I have labored long and hard to locate viable seed, and have sweated bullets over their germination. All for something that grows like a weed all over India, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation via cuttings - explained and defined

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County