Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Propagating Weigela

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

I have tried this many times in the past and once in a great while, I get roots. I have soaked them in water, planted them directly in the ground and think maybe success comes when planted at a certain time of the original shrub's growth.

One of my successes is now a huge bush and I need to trim it. It has just leafed out and I am wondering if now is a good time to take cuttings to root? Hardwood or softwood? If I trim now, will it affect the flowering?

Comments (13)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

Weigela flowers on new wood, so removing some for cuttings will remove some of the flowering, not usually a problem. Cuttings root easily if treated as most cuttings are, either misted or tented. If cuttings contain flower buds remove them as they will flower and slow any root growth. Al

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

oh al makes it sound all so easy ..

but for the lack of most of us of having a misting table/system ...

lol ...

ken

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I have a table and I have a squirt gun blaster that I shoot through the screen when cats climb up it. I can make that do.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I have rooted many Weigela cuttings in salvaged 4 inch plastic pots. Four to a pot, a plastic clear bread wrapper, supported with bamboo stakes, cut to a foot long. What is high tech or complicated about that. Al

• ron_2008
    10 years ago

I usually take cuttings from my Weigela in late June/early July and have no problem getting them to root. I stick mine in a std planting tray with a clear vented dome for a lid.

The medium I use is one part Pearlite, one part Vermiculite, and one part coarse sand.I place them where they get morning sun and shade or indirect sunlight the rest of the day. I mist them once a day but of course check them to make sure there is water beaded up on the inside of the dome.

All I know is it works for me. My problem is getting them to over winter here. Once again I lost a couple hundred very strongly rooted cuttings over the winter due to them heaving out of the ground.

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Weigela roots very easily if you live in moderate climate just by sticking foot lengths of old wood, ie hardwood not soft growth, into the ground in late Summer, Autumn and early Winter and leaving them a few months. Works for many of the tough common shrubs such as Forsythia, Deutzia, Philadelphus, etc.

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

I have an outdoor misting box and root them in plain old coarse sand by the hundreds. Weigelia is one of the few shrubs for me that has nearly 100% success with this method, I usually wind up with waaaaay too many. I'm about to cut back my huge Weigelia hedge soon and will be taking new cuttings from that. I prefer softwood with Weigelia.

It's getting the rooted cuttings to quickly grow into nice beautiful potted sale shrubs that I haven't quite gotten the hang of yet lol. My 1 gallon potted rootings from last year that I overwintered have hardly grown, not sure if it's my potting mix or I didn't fertilize enough or what. Whereas if I plant them into the ground they seem to take off. I have kind of a black thumb when it comes to potted plants.

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK squirrelly - I'm going to try it your way. How long are the cuttings? Soft wood, right? Do I wait until after the bush is done blooming to take cuttings? (It is just gorgeous now and I want a whole hedge of them!)

I am a (VERY) senior citizen and love the memory of growing up with Weigela bushes surrounding the back yard. I think they were about 10' tall but since I was only 2' they were probably not that tall. Wish me luck! This is definitely on my 'bucket list'.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I recently stumbled across a trick for more rapid growth in newly potted, rooted cuttings - Osmocote. Our local grocery store had the stuff on 50% off sale, so I bought a few pounds. Adding 10 or so pellets to the potted up plant has significantly increased the growth rate, and I don't have to worry about killing the things by over/under-fertilizing. Which I've done. Often.

Anyway, its one of these slap yourself upside the head moments. Yes, thats what they make Osmocote for. Like, Duh.

• olwas2013
    10 years ago

To RyseRyse_2004,
    SUCCESS! I planted a weigela in a pot. I totally forgot about the cutting. I am lucky that it was raining and it got watered. I checked on it the other day and it has tons of new growth. I am happy with my success. I took the weigela cutting because I love weigela bushes. I took a single cutting of my relations bush. There bush was planted by a cutting that his wife picked while she was on a walk. He obviously cleaned up the cutting. The picture is of the bush today and how much it has grown. They are easy to grow from cutting RyseRyse_2004. They would root on neglect and you only need one cutting instead of four for success. I just planted a cutting on its own and it rooted. This is from my own experience. P.S you have to turn your device horizontaly to see it ok. You can see the lawn.
    Thank You,
    Olly Lynch.

• olwas2013
    10 years ago

I didn't mean to add another follow up.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Olwas2013 on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 7:08

• dinah9999
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our perennial flower bed was vandalized and my Spilled Wine Weigela was one of the victims - pulled out but still had roots. I heeled it in and am watering it adding some Schultz liquid fertilizer. Cut some of the branches back, but am looking for any advice I can get. Is it worth trying to save it? Lots of other damage to my Salvia Caradonna (tops torn off to the ground), 3 Coreopsis Zagreb torn out (I've stuck them in the ground and one looks like it's still alive). This was a bed for a condo complex. We're all sick at heart. It was the 2nd year for this bed and it was coming so beautifully! Help!! tyvm

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County