Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Instructions on Stem Cutting (pic heavy)

Posted by dtownjbrown 5-CincyOH (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 17:22

I want to propagate what I think is a snowball viburnum. It was covered in huge white flower balls last month but they're all gone now. Ive never taken cuttings before so I could use some help (preferably the step-by-step kind, LOL).

I took a cutting already but for right now I have it in front of a north-facing window in my mud room with the whole thing in some water until I can figure out which end to root........
Photobucket

I dont know whether I'm supposed to put this end into the dirt.....
Photobucket

or if I'm supposed to cut off these softer green branches and try to root them instead....
Photobucket

I also have a butterfly bush that I'd like to propagate also. Will the same rules & techniques apply to both?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Instructions on Stem Cutting (pic heavy)

You want to take 2-4 eye cuttings of firm NEW growth (The green stems) apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking about 80 days to root. Butterfly bush same treatment but takes 70-100 days to root

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here