Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Long Do you Give Cuttings?

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 18:16

In the fall I took cuttings of several bushes. I see nothing now but what looks like dead stick. Should I toss them? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Long Do you Give Cuttings?

dead is dead ...

gently tug on the others..

a plant with roots.. will resist ...

and rootless plant.. will come right out ...

cant go much further than that... w/o an ID of what we are talking about ..

ken

o

I have had cuttings of Daphne odora take more than a year to grow roots, all the while keeping a leaf or two plus a green stem. If you notice the stem turning brown from the soil up, it is a good indication that all the stored energy in the cutting has been used and it is indeed dying. Al

o

If the cutting method doesn't work, you may be able to try some type of layering. We can only speak in generalities without knowing what you want to propagate.

o

I am trying to root a clematis in a plastic bag, in my kitchen GH window. Do I put the whole cutting into the bag,
and do I close the bag?
Thanks for anyones help.
Donna

o

djune, you might want to start a new discussion (on the Clematis forum since there is one) for your new question. Do you mean a plastic bag over a pot, like a mini-greenhouse? Cutting the bottom off of a 2-liter soda bottle might be a better option. It also has the removable lid, so if it gets too much condensation inside, you can ventilate without causing a drastic change in humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here