Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowercrazy44

jerusleum artichokes HELP!!!

flowercrazy44
18 years ago

We have been invaded with jerusleum(sp) artichokes. Just hoping someone knows how to get rid of them or better yet kill them as they are spreading everywhere. I read some where awhile back on how to do but i can't remember. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Patricia

Comments (9)

• donna_loomis
    18 years ago

You could send some to me (I'd pay postage of course).

Seriously, I have heard that the only way to get rid of it is to move. In hindsight, most people discover that they should have planted in a contained environment.

• ecaesia
    18 years ago

Eat them! Treat as baked potatoes, bake 2-3 each person then add butter, cheese, chilli beans, bacon - whatever your fancy...you'll run out soon enough ;)And those darn pesky JA will be useful while they're at it!Enjoy :)

• ecaesia
    18 years ago

while im at it ;)...u can use jchokes in all soups stews etc where you would use potatos. Some ppl swear they are great sliced thinly in a dressed salad...so, feed them to everyone that crosses your path and watch those sunchokes dwindle! I personally favour JA baked potatolike...yum

• smellkelbel
    18 years ago

you just need to get a few pigs and let them in the Jerusleum artichoke zone.
    They will get rid of them. seriously.
    If thats not an option than it looks like you are S.O.L.

• digger-gormet
    16 years ago

I have planted J. Artichokes twice in my garden. I have Sandy Soil. Now,the first planting came from a health food market in the produce section. Just bought them, broke them up in sections and planted them about 8" deep. They all came up with no problem. That was last spring. Now I have gotten some from a friend who plants them for shelter for his quail.( He has a bird farm). He has Clay soil. They have not spread from the original row, even though he just mows the dead stalks off in the fall. They only propagate from the bulbs so if you want to get rid of them I would dig them up and SIFT the soil through a wire sieve. I think they are like potatoes in that the smallest piece left in the ground will grow. If you are in an area that freezes hard maybe you could dig them up and leave the hole open and exposed to the frost. I froze one overnite and thawed it and it turned black and looked like a truffle. Boiled until still very firm they taste like artichoke hearts and can be frozen. They have no starch and are fed to diabetes patients in the hospitals in Germany according to a german friend.

• Lauren Clear
    16 years ago

I would like some J. artichokes as well. I actually planned on planting them next spring.

Can we talk about a trade? or I can send you the cost of postage.

• robert_m
    16 years ago

If you have more you can send some my way and I'll pay the postage.

• pdxjules
    16 years ago

I pull stems straight up first, then get down, and put my hands deep in the soil, and sift through the whole area to try to get all of em. In Spring look first for for rogue shoots encroaching on pathways and other planting areas, and try to pull/sift out tubers and all attached roots.

Even one will make a whole new patch the same year.
    This is the first year the cherry flowers have not seemed worth the work. Also seems I never get around to cooking the dang things. Others tell me they are Tasty, however.

Anyone in the Portland, Oregon area can get LOTS of Tubers from me, dangit! (OMG now I'm officially insane. It's 2 AM and I'm online chatting about...problem tubers! O dear)

• dottyinduncan
    16 years ago

They are also good grated raw and mixed with regular potatoes for hash browns. My DH loves them and planted them in the absolutely wrong place. I dug them up in the spring and got rid of them. Then, he went and planted them in an even worse place....we have clay soil though and I think that contains them to a degree.