Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are the best, fastest, and most prolific plants?

Posted by plantsandherbs North Carolina (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 07 at 20:34

What are the best, fastest, and most prolific plants?
This is a general open-ended disscussion. Feel free to add any thoughts.

As for myself:
I will start the list with mint, coleus, and spider plants. Mint and colues are the easiest instant rooters ever. Spider plants continualy send off shooters.

Eventually we will get a pretty good list as long as people will bother to post their expireances.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are the best, fastest, and most prolific plants?

sedums, sempervivums, salvias, willow, fescue

o

Cynanchum laeve is the quickest grower I have seen. It's simple to root the cuttings, and it's the easiest seeds to germinate of all the milkweeds that I've grown.

o

Fastest plants.....I would have to say any of the tradescantia family.....wandering Jew, Moses in a Boat, Purple Heart. I am having wonderful luck with my Jade pothos and my Marble Queen pothos.....these are very easy to take cuttings from as well. All my philos are growing b4 my eyes.....including my heart leaf, my split leaf and my philo congo.

I am finding African Violets are pretty easy to care for and keep healthy....but I know there is some controversy there.

I could keep rambliing on but these are my first thoughts!!

Tracy

o

The fastest and most prolific plants are called "weeds". Most places they are not thought of as the best. There may some exceptions, for example sunflowers in some locations.

o

Fuchsias and petunias are very quick too. Oh, and ficus cuttings. And impatiens.

o

Sedums and mums are always quick and easy for me.

Sue

o

• Posted by amany MI / 6 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 07 at 21:43

Kalanchoes are really fast.

o

in my experience lemon verbena, any little cut roots within weeks in a sunny window. Tomato plants, all the side shoots that i pick off become in weeks full grown plants.

o

Regular basil roots quickly and proficiently. Cork screw willow tree, roots quickly.
Honeysuckle takes a little longer.
Purple passion & swediah ivy, of which I now have several rooted.
All of theabove I have rooted in water.
As well as roses, and wisteria, but they take a long time.

Vangy likes to play in the dirt

o

I have found that azaleas, gardenias ( both jasminoides and radicans,) perilla and monarda root the fastest for me.

o

I've never been able to root anything in water or soiless mix (trust me I've tried everything) the only things that I have been able to show signs of rooting before roting is some oleander. I find that sweet potato vine roots really quickly, I had a piece from walmart and it had roots in one day, everytihng in the ipopmea family is fast

o

origami master, do you use a water softner? Because that can cause your plant not to root. because of salt.
I root fushia, geranium, impatients, ivies, wax begonia both in water and soil. fastest for me would be german ivy.

o

Fuschia, rosemary, citronella geranium are those I do regularly, though I'm trying roses and have gotten gardenias before (but they died soon after planting...see the gardenia forums on that one!!!)

o

I had good results from hydrangea "endless summer". I have no experience with other hydrangeas.

o

From cuttings, sedum, chrysanthemums, and lantana are quickest for me. Abelia and gardenia cuttings root dependably, they just take longer.

I have had very good results layering rosemary and hydrangeas (lacecap). I have no luck so far rooting cuttings from oak leaf hydrangeas although I have tried many many times. This year, I will try layering and hope that works as well as with the lacecaps.

o

Just look at the weeds that pop up in your gardens. They are the champs :)

o

So far, i've had good luck with Lemon Balm, Basil, Honeysuckle vine, and Golden Moneywort. I seem to be having decent luck with some wild roses i'm trying to get started.....so far. lol

o

Grapevines grow fast, are hard to kill, easy from cuttings, and they give back!!

o

Bananas...I've measured leaves that grew six inches a day.

o

rose of sharon.
roots in water or potting mix with or without hormones.
also mums, fuchsias, verbenas,blue beards, snow in the summer.
all kinds of mints.
I could go on and on.
Hard for me... red leaf sand cherry.
last year i only had one surviver. wish me luck i've got a few dozen cuttings still under cover.

o

I've been rooting in water a variety of sedum similar to "Autumn Joy" but with pink flowers since I was 5 years old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here