Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I slip Azaleas?

Posted by marymarie2007 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 08 at 20:37

I inherited one Azalea at my nearly new home. Cannot find any similar so instead I would like to multiply it by slips. What's the best way to do it? When?

Any and all advise greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I slip Azaleas?

Azalea Cuttings

From the tv show -Rebecca's Garden: Episode REB-635

If you have a beautiful azalea or hydrangea and would like to have more plants, theres no reason why you should go out and spend money. You can actually grow new plants by taking stem cuttings.

Cut the stem on a 45-degree angle just below the leaf node.
To retain moisture, you can put the pot and cutting in a plastic bag, but check the moisture level every day and let it breathe for about 15 minutes.
Once the plant is finished blooming, then you're ready to take a cutting. Remove about four to six inches of a green stem. Half the stem cutting is going to be under soil, so remove all the foliage.

Don't tear it off or you might damage the bark. Instead, use scissors or clippers and just clip off the leaves.
Next, dip the stem into a rooting hormone. Then place it into a small pot, with a mixture of 50 percent perlite to 50 percent soil.

Put the stem about three inches down into the soil. Keep your new stem cutting moist at all times until it's completely rooted, which can take anywhere from four to six weeks.

In no time, your plants will root and you can go ahead and repot them. And within a year, you may be enjoying some beautiful blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here