Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illutionary

Propagating a magnolia (need advice)

illutionary
10 years ago

I want to propagate a magnolia I pass everyday for work. What is the best way to go about this. It is on public land so no worries.

Comments (8)

• jlynn
    10 years ago

plant a seed lol the wild ones we have grow voluntarily everywhere

• illutionary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, :) thank you I didn't know if they where anything like roses where the seed usually isn't at all like the parent if it grew at all. Id love to live in a place where the are everywhere.

• illutionary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, :) thank you I didn't know if they where anything like roses where the seed usually isn't at all like the parent if it grew at all. Id love to live in a place where the are everywhere.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Before I get into the subject of magnolia propagating, I must say "It is on public land so no worries" sounds a little alarming to me! I may well be (and probably even is) illegal to remove plant material from publicly owned land! Anyway, onto the main subject...

Magnolias are indeed similar to roses in that you don't necessarily get what you started with from seed. Many magnolias found in landscapes (including parks, etc) are cultivars and/or hybrids. If you're dealing with a wild tree, then seeds are likely to result in something similar to the parent plant. If not, then your chances are much slimmer. In those cases, your best bet is probably grafting onto a seedling rootstock. It's important to identify what type of magnolia you are dealing with. There are many species of magnolias.

• illutionary
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I will check into that first. I need to find out exactly what its sitting on and go from there. THANKS!

• sam_md
    7 years ago

Here's how I propagate magnolia. First, identify the tree, in this case Bigleaf Magnolia, Magnolia macrophylla. Collect cones when seed is ripe, about first week in October.

Separate seed from cones.
    I place seed over a screen, add water and rub with the heel of my hand to remove the red.

Cleaned seed should be sown right away. It can either be sown in a seedbed or in individual pots. In this case I choose the later.
    Put two or three seed per pot, you can always come along later and thin them out. I use the practice of covering the seed with sand. It is clean, weed free and I always know where I start and stop. Flats can be stacked. Cover the top with wire and monitor for rodents. Mice & rats can be a serious problem. Flats can be stored over the winter in an unheated place however protect from hard freezing. Water occasionally, I often put snow on them and let it melt down.

Seed germinates following May or June.

And here they are after about 60 days, magnolia on left, pawpaw on the right.

• Nicola Bludau
    7 years ago

That means seed must be very fresh? I bought once magnolia seeds the medicinal one and it never germinated!

• shonoo
    7 years ago

sam_md, thanks for the detailed instructions. I have collected some seeds in October this year and they have been sitting in my seed box at home. I will get them in individual pots right away. One question - do I have to store them in a garage or shed ?If so, when do I move them outside ? Can I leave the pots outdoors in the garden ? I am in Zone 6, SE PA .