Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor Tearing Out Tulip/Poppy/Daffodil Garden!!

Posted by mbvirtue none (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 21:07

Help! Our lovely neighbors are planning to nuke and tear out the flower garden planted by the previous owners...he rototilled and sprayed last fall, but the bulbs all came back up this spring. He's now contracted with a lawn service to come and plant a new lawn, and told me last weekend (April 25th) that I'd be welcome to dig up whatever I wanted to take.
What do I do?? These are bulbs that are about to bloom. Poppies in the back of the bed don't seem to be up yet, but I would really love to take as much of the garden into mine as humanly possible.
Dig it up, lock stock and barrel with as much soil as I can, and hope for the best? Their little boy and dog need a yard to play in, but I'd love to preserve Cheryl's garden for our senior neighbor...she's always called it "her flower garden".
Thanks for any and all advice, I'll have to move on this Saturday, will get pics if I can!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor Tearing Out Tulip/Poppy/Daffodil Garden!!

You can move bulbs in growth if you are careful. Dig them up and then either immediately replant or pot up but ensure you water copiously.

o

I would concentrate on the bulbs. If you do try to get some poppies, I would replant them right away, the bulbs could wait a day or two, or even until next weekend if necessary, in total shade preferably so they don't get too dry. Doubtful poppies would survive tilling though. Mature bulbs are tough, as you've seen - they were tilled, sprayed and now about to bloom. Wow. Anything worth the effort to you is all that might be saved, no contest really. Just depends on your time/energy. At least your neighbor is being neighborly about it, that's cool.

o

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement...I now have several buckets and am thinking of cutting the tulip flowers for vases, and letting the greens die back. Perhaps that will give them enough energy for next year?

o

I think the removing the flowers and leaving the leaves to die naturally is probably a good idea. Bulb producers remove the flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here