Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cross pollination from parent (hazelnut)

Posted by destany z6 MO (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 21:39

I'm thinking that this won't work, but I'm looking for confirmation. I planted a hazelnut bush last year, but they need to have two plants in order to cross pollinate to produce nuts. I saw last night that it has popped out a baby, through a runner under ground.
Am I right in thinking that this new plant will be a generic copy of its parent, and therefore not unique enough for cross pollination?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cross pollination from parent (hazelnut)

if its a sucker.... then it IS THE PARENT ....

i have one plant..and it gives nuts.... though it took a few years to do so ...

does your show any pollen thingees??? .. see link ...

if its not mature enough to put out pollen.. its not mature enough to nut ...

and i am presuming this is a nut tree ... and not some sterile variety ...

do you have the latin name???? .. you can research with such.. rather than rely on the common name ....

BTW .. this is not a propagation question.. and this forum is rather dead ... you might want to try the fruit forum ... as those peeps also do or know about nuts ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Sun, May 12, 13 at 10:12

o
RE: Cross pollination from parent (hazelnut)

Thank you Ken, you've answered my question. Because the nuts are the seeds, and pollination is required to get nuts. It is a sucker, and I was right to assume that it is not going to work for cross pollination to get nuts.
I will have to find another at a nursery. I don't have the Latin name, it was given to me last year from my local nature center, with a print out that said two pants were needed to get nuts, so I don't believe it'd sterile.

Thank you again for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here