Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate - cutting?

Mary Leek
13 years ago

Has anyone ever rooted a cutting from this plant? I understand it is an annual but I've also read that the seed are difficult to germinate. It must grow awfully fast to get to 8-9 feet in one season. I just saw blooms of this plant today and they are absolutely beautiful. So bright and airy.

Mary

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I grow the variegated foliage variety. I winter sow the seeds and have excellent germination. I have no idea if you can propagate it by cuttings.

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you find the blooms are as bright a color as the plant with green foliage? If so, the variegated foliage would add a nice element to the garden.

Can it grow to 9 feet in a season? :-)

Thank you for the advice about winter sowing. I do winter sow so this will fill the bill. The reason I ask about rooting cuttings is because I was given a shoot of the plant from a flower vendor. He didn't know if it would root but kindly gave me a shoot to try. I was hoping to get some advice about stem preparation and rooting medium. My guess is the stem will probably rot before there's time for roots to form, as it seems fleshy like the coneflower stems. Anyway, will give it a try, just for the experience.

My thanks for taking the time to reply.

Mary

• karyn1
    13 years ago

The blooms are the same. The variegated form gets quite large. I had some that were over 12' tall. The foliage is really striking. I pull the standard KMOTGG out. It's a weed to me. Same with pokeweed. I love the variegated form but do my best to rid my yard of the standard green variety.

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

karyn1,

My thanks for the additional information. Yikes, that is one large annual. :-)

I so want to try and grow it so just ordered some seeds of the variegated variety from Diane's Seeds. It might get too big for my small garden before it blooms but I won't know until I try. Too late for this year but will plan to winter sow this coming winter for growth next summer.

Thanks once again for sharing your information. Everyone is so generous with their time and expertise. I learn so much from everyone on these forums.

Mary

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Mary you can still try some this season. Just use the fridge to mimic a chilling period. Place the seeds in a baggie or container of moist sand or moist sphagnum moss and stick it in the veggie crisper of your refrigerator for a few weeks then plant outside. I'd start them in a pot so you know where they are. Try it with some of the seeds and save the rest for next season. You have a fairly long growing season in your zone. If they do have time to mature and go to seed you should have volunteers in the garden next season too.

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    13 years ago

karyn1,

You've convinced me to try some seed this year! :-) It will be fun to see how far along it will get before fall.

Mary

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES